Product Review by Megan Amodeo
Meltdowns can be challenging. It is often difficult to know what to do to calm children when they are overwhelmed and inconsolable. I recently had the opportunity to test and review the Bionix Calming Cushion. This device was designed to give children on the autism spectrum a way to calm their emotions during or shortly after a meltdown.
The unit consists of a large rectangular cushion filled with beads (similar to a bean bag chair) and an air compressor. The cushion is about five feet in length and is a solid navy blue color. The air compressor comes with the appropriate hoses to attach to the cushion. The compressor pumps air into the cushion, and also vacuums air out of the cushion.
- The device is easy to use and operate. Simply lay down on the cushion, form the cushion to your child’s body, and vacuum out the air in the cushion until it forms a “mold” around your child.
- The company responds to questions/ or concerns promptly. I was initially missing a hose for the compressor. They sent it to me by express shipping and it arrived just two days after I alerted the company it was missing from the original package.
- The cushion provided comfort and calming for my daughter during a meltdown.
- The parent or guardian is in control of the shape and pressure of the beanbag cushion.
- For additional comfort, individuals can use their own pillow or blanket.
- It’s important to place the valve and vacu-pump towards the feet for best sound results.
- They have included a metal “S” hook so that you can hang the cushion in a closet when it’s not in use.
- The $599 price includes free shipping.
The Bionix Calming Cushion provided a safe and calming environment for my daughter when she was overstimulated. I felt comfortable having her lay on the cushion for 10-15 minutes until she was able to self-regulate.
It has been a huge benefit to have this type of device for our home use. Most importantly, the cushion calmed my daughter and allowed her to go on with her day. I think that this device will be helpful to many families with children on the autism spectrum.
Find out more about the Bionix Calming Cushion:
*Megan was provided with a free Calming Cushion in return for her honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed herein are her own and not influenced by the manufacturer, and/or its affiliates, in any way. Geek Club Books and Megan receive zero compensation for publishing this review.