Self-Care Ideas for Autistics
We are fortunate to have a team of self-advocates who can express what it’s like to be autistic through their written words. They candidly talk about their challenges and share ways they have learned to accept themselves and take care of their needs.
Living Positively Autistic by Becca Lory Hector
- Make a Promise to Yourself
- The Danger of Yes
- 5 Songs that Lift and Shift My Mood
- What is the Right and Wrong Way to Do Self-Care?
- On Pause: Taking the Time to Recharge
- What are My Perfect Pre-Charge Self-Care Ideas?
- Why Is it So Important to Change Your Input?
- Don’t Get Me Down: Fighting Autistic Inertia
#AskingAutistics by Christa Holmans, Neurodivergent Rebel
- What are the Challenges of Being Romantically Involved?
- What’s One Thing You Wished You Would Have Known?
- Have You Ever Been Accused of Acting MORE Autistic?
- What Does Masking Mean to You?
- Sensory Processing Disorder: “Working Overtime” by Chloe Rothschild
- Let’s Dare to Speak Up about Meltdowns by Morgan Salisbury
- Can You Help 30 Seconds Before a Meltdown? by Megan Amodeo
- Children on the Spectrum Benefit from Sensory Gardens by Jackie Edwards
- Experience the Comfort and Joy of Sensory Habits by Emma Dalmayne
Dealing with Anxiety
- Anxiety and the Pressure Cooker of Life by Megan Amodeo
- Advice from Fellow Autistics on Managing Anxiety by Robert Watkins
- Experiencing the Physical Symptoms of Anxiety by Emma Dalmayne
- Finding Help for Anxiety and Sensory Issues by James Sullivan
- Why Parent Meetings are So Overwhelming and Strange by Megan Amodeo
Self-Improvement and Advocating
- Where are My Adult Autism Supports, Dammit?! by Becca Lory Hector
- Haley Moss: “Different Isn’t Bad and It Isn’t Less”
- Why I’m Leaning In to Being Brave by Gretchen Leary
- Overcoming Challenges of Black and White Thinking by Becca Lory
- My Lesson in Learning How to Let Go by Gretchen Leary
- Dealing with Failure is a Learnable Life Skill by Megan Amodeo
- My Bravery in Full Color by Gretchen Leary
- A Golden End to the Misleading Puzzle Piece by Rochelle Johnson
- Why Do I Love the Things I Do? by Lydia Wayman
- A Spectrum of Light and Color by Karen McAuley
- Watch self-advocates’ videos on #Activate4Autism
Our website at Geek Club Books is a platform for autistic voices, positive autism advocacy and education, and sharing autism resources we think you’ll want to know about. Here are additional categories we cover and questions we explore: