By Conner Cummings
It’s me Conner. This issue of Zoom is very important to our lives at this time. Our stories are real people and real situations that need help. Together we need to fix the system. I cannot say that I have felt their fear or their pain…I can only give my support.
These stories are their personal lives and their personal opinions. These are just a few of the too many stories that are out there. These are real people behind the hashtags #BlackAutisticLivesMatter and #BlackWhileAutistic!
“I want to thank each contributor and tell you…I care. We all at Zoom Autism Magazine care. We all want to be a part of the solution!”
Included in this issue is our cover person Anita Cameron. Anita talks about her disability activism. She has contributed and accomplished so much it is motivating. She shares some of her personal thoughts and stories. What a Powerful read!
We also cover a story in my home state of Virginia. Matthew Rushin’s own words and links to try to understand how this happened and prevent it from ever happening again. I have personally worked to try to free Matthew and we are happy to say that we are sharing the follow up to Matthew and you will see firsthand how we all can make a difference.
Our Guest Editor Elizabeth Roy tries to introduce and share with all of us real people some of the “People Behind the Hashtags.”
A View from Here will be the continuation of following the amazing Daniel Derico. Daniel is finding new passions and following in a path he did not foresee in our past issue.
We are excited to add a new person we will be following, Jasmine Sutton. A young girl that will be sharing her life living with multiple illnesses and all of the dreams and passions of a teenager. I am very excited to follow her journey and pleased to say that I know her and her mom and they are some of my favorite people.
I am especially proud of this issue and I want to thank each contributor and tell you…I care. We all at Zoom Autism Magazine care. We all want to be a part of the solution!
Go Back to Issue 18 Home
Read more articles on the Black autistic experience beyond the hashtags in Issue 18 of Zoom Autism Magazine.
- Why are Black Disabled Activists Being Ignored or Forgotten? by Anita Cameron
- Autistic While Black and the Case of Matthew Rushin – #FreeMatthewRushin
- We Believe…In the Right to Exist by Elizabeth Roy
- Why the Social Model Will Not Save Us and “Disability Rights” Aren’t Intersectional by Tiffany Hammond
- What Does it Mean to Feel Safe? Intro by Rose Sutton
In Every Issue
- Editor Letter – Black Autistic Lives Matter: Beyond the Hashtags by Elizabeth Roy
- Cummings and Goings: Working Together to Fix the System by Conner Cummings
- 5 Must-Read Books by Black Autistic Authors by Adriana White
- THE VIEW FROM HERE: “I am Just Going to Be Me” by Jasmine Sutton with an update from Daniel Derrico
Discover More Zoom Issues
- Archived issues on the Zoom Home Page