Think of autism a different way of procession information and making sense of the world. Autistic brains find some things more challenging, like relating to others, but they tend to excel in other ways, like noticing details and remembering information.
Autism ISN’T a disease like diabetes or asthma, and there is no cure for it. Many autistic people say they wouldn’t want to be cured. The way they see it, autism is like their gender or nationality—it’s part of who they are.
Best Autism Videos to Watch
Bluebee TeeVee is a video series on autism topics for kids:
Agony Autie is one of several autistic advocates who have created videos to help the public understand autism:
What Do Autistic People Think about Autism?
The best way to understand autism is to learn about it from the people who are on the autism spectrum. Here are some of our team’s best essays about being autistic:
- I AM Awesome by Lydia Wayman
- Why Autism Gives Me the Strength to Fly! by Megan Amodeo
- Never Let Your Circumstances Define Who You Are by Khali Raymond
- Different Isn’t Bad and It Isn’t Less by Haley Moss
- Now the Past Makes Sense After My Adult Autism Diagnosis by Robert Watkins
- Autism: A Whole Person Perspective by Lydia Wayman
- When Did You First Find Out? by James Sullivan
Explain Autism Comics
How to Explain Autism to Kids
- Download and watch all of our Bluebee TeeVee Autism Information Station Videos
- Use this Autism Fact Sheet for Kids
- Mighty League 1 comic that’s an autistic hero interactive comic based on a true story about bullying and friendship.
- Mighty League 2 comic where an autistic starship captain finds self-acceptance, peer acceptance and inclusion.
- The Superhero Brain and The Superhero Heart – Children’s hero stories on autism as a difference.
- Lucy’s Amazing Friend – a story about autism and friendship
Our website at Geek Club Books is a platform for autistic voices, positive autism advocacy and education, and sharing autism resources we think you’ll want to know about. In addition to our autistic-themed comic, here are topics we cover and questions we explore:
- How to Find Resources
- What is Autism?
- What is Autism Awareness?
- Autism Myths
- Autism Glossary
- Books by Autistic Authors
- Autistic or Person with Autism?
- Speech and Language
- Autism Business Ideas
- Autistic Self-Care
- Asking Autistics Resource Page
- Zoom Autism Magazine – Autism through many lenses
- Find great books in our Amazon Book Shop